Camping Tools – What I Would Bring

by Chris Vegvary

As you may know from one of my previous blogs (entitled “Is Camping Fun?”), I’m not big on camping. I believe I’ve been camping a total of three or four times in my life, but I’m not really sure. What I am sure of is that I didn’t like it one bit. Turns out I like technology too much to just go off the grid for a couple of days out in the wilderness. Chances are that I won’t be going camping again anytime soon, but if there is ever a possibility that I may have to, I’ve made a list of the things I’d like to bring along with me.

For starters, I have no idea how to start a fire, and I imagine I’d have no luck in making one by rubbing two sticks together, no matter how long I tried. Therefore, I’d probably want to take something like this Swedish Firesteel Scout, which is good for three thousand strikes and works for starting a fire in any weather. Some may consider this more survivalist or somehow “cheating” in some way, but guess what? If I need to start a fire real quick, I’ll have that option, whereas we’ll see how long it takes you to rub two sticks together. Bring it.

You know what I don’t like at all? Insects. Especially the ones that bite and leave itchy red marks, and that is encountered a lot when you’re out camping. Don’t deny it, don’t tell me you love the thrill of nature or anything weird like that. Instead, I would say to you that you need to try some form or brand of insect repellant to keep the hungry little critters from devouring you throughout the day and night. You think it’s not worth it now? Wait until you wake up being carried off by some pretty serious-looking ants the size of club bouncers, then come talk to me about not wanting to keep bugs away. It’s a real eye-opener.

Lastly, but not leastly, I want to know where I’m going at all times. People like myself aren’t going to know where the crap to look for the North Star, or how to use the sun to tell which direction I’m going. Getting lost in the woods is not appealing to me, what with all the…you know, nature and whatnot. Also, I like to know what time it is. However can I combine the two to make something that will tell me the time as well as which direction I’m headed? Oh, how about BOOM: here’s a military field watch with a compass attached to it. Were you expecting THAT? Of course you were, you’re always two steps ahead of me.


So while I don’t foresee any possible future where I’ll be camping anytime in the near future, I realize that it could happen, and if so, I want to be prepared for it. Hopefully, if you’re like me and have no idea what to bring on a camping trip, this article may have helped you to be ready for whatever comes. Just remember to keep the bugs away.

2 comments:

  1. I guess Chris isn't much of a camper. Most of us just brink matches to start a campfire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about an axe to chop up kindling, or a saw?

    ReplyDelete